Saturday, October 18, 2008

Hello from Santa Cruz!

Hey everyone..sorry it took so long for me to get this up. I've had quite a busy schedule :)
I have been living on a Christian camp called Mission Springs for the last two weeks and will be here until break which starts November 25th. We are serving Mission Springs by working on their maintenance and housekeeping teams three days a week. Just this past week, me and a few other people from my Ventana team have been taking apart, sanding, trimming, staining, and putting back together over twenty wooden benches in the center of camp. They now look brand new and we are all proud of our accomplishments. Other branches of our team have put in new stairs on one of their nature trails, sanded and repainted the theater's stage, and folded and stuffed over 2,000 letters. And its been so much fun learning how to serve even when it gets tough.

We have also been participating in a homeless ministry twice a week, which has been life changing. We serve at a place called Elm Street Mission every Wednsday and Saturday. On Wed. half of our team go to the mission to participate in the bible study there that includes several people who live on the streets, and the other half goes out into the main hangouts of the homeless population and strike up conversations with the people there. We have five dollars in our pocket so we can treat someone to a meal. On Sat. we all go to the mission and help prepare a huge meal, sit in the church service, then eat and talk with the people that come. It has been amazing to here people's stories and to love on them like Jesus would. I have met several interesting characters: Dana, who likes to invite me to some study sessions on "medical marajuana research", Thomas, who lost his wife, home, car, and motorcycle eighteen months ago, S.C. (as he likes to be called) who is a practicing Buddhist, as well as several others. Please lift these people up in your prayers, that we can continue our realtionships with them, and show them how much God truly loves them!

The leaders for Ventana are amazing and all of us students love them! There are six leaders in all, and eleven students (four boys and seven girls). We all get along rather well, and love to joke around and prank each other. For example, the boys snuck into the girl's bathroom and put an alarm on the stall door. So the next morning, me and two other girls (LeAnne and Liz) were in the bathroom preparing for the day and we tried to open the stall door, but everytime we did, a loud, obnoxious sound would go off, almost deafening us. We finally figured out what it was, so we could releive our strained bladders :) and we are still coming up with a way to get the boys back!

I miss you all and hope to see/hear from you all sometime. Thank you to everyone who has supported me financially and prayerfully! You have blessed me more than you know! One fun fact that I was just made aware of was that I was the last one to sign up for this trip, but the first one to get all my funds in...what a confirmation from God that I am supposed to be here.
I love you all!

5 comments:

MBA said...

HI MIKAELA. HOW FUN TO FINALLY HAVE YOUR BLOG UP AND RUNNING. AND I AM THE FIRST ONE TO LEAVE A COMMENT...HOW FUN IS THAT? I LOVE OUR QUICK LITTLE CHATS ON THE PHONE. IT IS SO NICE JUST TO HEAR YOUR VOICE....IT MAKES YOU SEEM SO NEAR! I MISS YOU AND PRAY FOR YOU TONS. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU IN LESS THAN 5 WEEKS! OH, IF I COME UP WITH ANY FUN PRANK IDEAS, I'LL BE SURE AND SEND THEM YOUR WAY!
LOVE,
MOM

Paul and Karen said...

I finally got a chance to read your blog, Mikaela. So good to hear more details about what you're doing. It sounds challenging and worthwhile. Thanks for the letter. Real mail! I'll answer soon.

Your other Momma

ConnieK said...

Mikaela!
What a life changing experience you are having! You will remember this for the rest of your life...no matter what you do or where you go. What a neat way to serve the Lord. We are so excited for you! I'll pass your site on to Caeli.

Unknown said...

Hi Mikaela!
I really like your blog. So glad you are having fun, learning so much and the wonderful opportunities to serve Jesus. A real eyeopener to read about it. Thank you for your update. I hope the rest of your time there is just super! I am so glad you are getting along with everyone. Sometimes it can be hard to get along with others you have to work with. We will keep on praying for you. Nathan, Erin and I sure enjoyed your babysitting for us. :D

Take care!
~~Becky Hiller

Unknown said...

Hi MiKaela,
this is Renee Robertson (Rylee & Raegan's mom from down the street in Grand Oaks....but now we live in Sri Lanka!) I've been folowing the A-Team blog and was anxious to see your new blog. It's great to hear that you are doing so well. You have an AMAZING family. I know your dad (like your mom is) would be soooo proud of you.
Rylee is 9 now and in the 4th grade! Raegan is 7 1/2 and in 2nd grade. they both love their school here in Sri Lanka as well as living here. we've been here over 3 years now! can't believe it! we are done in December......not sure WHERE in the world we're moving next.
Keep up the great work!
take care,
Renee (Rick, Rylee & Raegan Robertson) xoxo