Monday, January 19, 2009

Second Week!!!

Hey all! Our second week in Mexico has come to a close. And it has been a full one! We just said goodbye to our first Camp Ventana youth group. About eighteen people in all came down to Porvenir for a weekend of service and it was AWESOME! We worked hard in the community painting, cleaning, digging, and replacing the roof on the girl's trailer. Actually...WE didn't since I was the "Picture Lady" as the students called me. I took all the pictures and made a slide show that was shown today before they left. I loved it...but yesterday was filled with tons of technological difficulties and it was one of the most stressful times of my life. But everything turned out well and I sent the youth pastor away happy with a copy of the movie and all the pictures in his hands. Whoo!

We started classes last week and they are going really well! Again, they are going to be challenging but only because the teachers are trying to get us to develop our own opinions on things based off of what we read in the Bible instead of just spoon feeding us their thoughts. Its exactly what I need at this point in my relationship with Christ. This week I am writing a paper on salvation and why I believe what I believe using Biblical references. I know what I believe, but I have to find the verses that support that belief...its the best homework EVER!

We have experienced several church services with the church that we are partnered with in Porvenir and its absolutely amazing! Church is so different in Mexico...there are children on the side dancing and twirling flags during worship, people pray out loud and all at the same time so that they are not worried about impressing the people around them with their clever and righteous words :) Its such a new thing to me, but I am getting used to it. And I always have one of the worship songs stuck in my head especially my favorite one "Te Doy Gloria" (I Give You Glory) It is a really catchy tune with awesome meaning.

We are leaving for our two week trip to Culiacan in about..two weeks. I can't believe that we are actually going! Its going to be such a huge impact upon my life...and I am going to be stretched by all the things that we are going to be doing. Again, I would love it if you would be in prayer for this--that our team would be strong together and that Satan would not be able to find a foothold. Doug warned us that there is going to be some intense spiritual battle.

I love you all! I hope things are going well with everyone!
Mikaela

No comments: