Monday, May 4, 2009

Ventana Continues

I have been back here in Porvenir for a week now and its been such an awesome transition. I was afraid that I would not have an easy time coming back to the craziness that is Ventana, but it was so much fun to see everyone that I barely noticed the change. I think that a week was just long enough with my family that I had some good bonding time, but also did not get too adjusted to the easiness of home. I miss my family, not going to lie, but I am also excited about this last month, and the growth that I am still experiencing through the constant study of the Word and all the ministries that we are involved in.

My relationships with the locals have been growing so much in the past few weeks...I am going to go to school with one of the girls for a day sometime in the next two weeks or so. School has been closed for a week because of the swine flu, and tons of people are wearing little face masks so they won't be infected. Its is very weird being in the middle of all this. But no known cases in Porvenir as of yet, not to worry. Everyone in our church keeps saying "My God is a big God." and they just go around with out a care. Its funny. Us Ventaneros threw a big party for the local kids about three weeks ago, and it was so much fun. We roasted hotdogs, played loud music, goofed off, and watched a movies. There were about 30 or more youth there...it was awesome to see everyone come. We were afraid it would be a flop!

Yesterday we had a camp day with the whole church. We all went out to a park about fifteen minutes away and played volleyball and soccer for almost the whole day. We had a barbecue and played phase ten and uno...and just had fun with our Christian community. It was so much fun, and i really appreciate the way this church has accepted us. It was hard at first, but now we feel like family. Its awesome! On Satruday, I got to go with Gio, the youth pastor, and some of the students from the youth group to a city called Testerozo. They direct a children's program there, almost like a VBS. The town is almost all made up of migrant workers who just pass through, working on the fields. We had a good turnout of kids, and I just loved sitting there with them, talking and doing crafts and singing songs...what a beautiful experience this is. The people here are so loving, and I really enjoy working with the children...its just a passion that God has given me.

It is my birthday on Thursday of this week...strange how I feel like I just turned 18 and now I will be 19 in 3 days. This year has gone by so fast with everything that has been happening. Its crazy, and I suspect this summer will go by just as fast since I'll be a Mt. Hermon. And then Fox...God just seems to be keeping me busy, so busy in fact that I will have to be relying upon him for every ounce of strength. But that's ok with me because, in the words of my brothers and sisters here in Porvenir, My God is a big God. And his strength will never run out...how beautiful is that?

Much love!
Mikaela Alexander

No comments: